Point St. Charles Shops
There are a number of locations and industries in the Montreal region that, by the mention of a word or phrase, convey a special meaning and The Point is one such phrase. On the Island of Montreal, Point St. Charles is that area south of the city's centre that started out as a working class district, established by industry.
Initially, there were a number of small industries in that area, having been set up along the Lachine Canal that opened in 1825. One of the area's largest industries was the railway facility established by the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada, after its incorporation in 1852 that became known as Point St. Charles Shops.
It is now over one hundred and fifty years since the shops were established in Point St. Charles. During that time, ownership changed from the Grand Trunk Railway to Canadian National Railways. Also, a number of management changes occurred. The operations of the shops underwent significant technological changes, particularly the evolution from steam locomotives to diesel-electrics. Plus, there are the workers.
The author's latest work chronicles these events together with a number of illustrations and 45 photographs documenting another chapter of Montreal's railway history
ISBN: 9780969870548 | WMPub# 1128 | 5.5" x 8.5" | 66 pages; over 55 photographs and illustrations; trade paperback | $14.95
Railroad Books available through White Mountain Publications Listed here