Welcome to White Mountain Publications
Main PageAlphabetical Listing for All Current TitlesAll Current Titles Listed by Genre or CategoryBahá'í Titles Listings and links of interestOur new EBooks selectionsOrder Page Instructions including mail, and PayPal optionsMail, Email, Phone, Fax Numbers in one place for one-stop reference or printing

Temiskaming Treasure Trails 1886-1903

Temiskaming  Treasure Trails 1886-1903

Between the years 1886 and 1904, settlement roots dug deep into the northwest comer of Lake Temiskaming. This second book of Temiskaming Treasure Trails shows these settlers struggling for farmholds, begging the Ontario government for help and finally striking more than clay soil beneath their feet.

Peter Fancy

While the Oblates' Société de Colonisation du Lac Témiscamingue ushered new members from as far away as France into its Quebec cantons, C.C. Farr quit as chief trader of the Hudson's Bay Company's Old Fort at the Narrows and moved his family across the upper lake to a deserted lumber depot in Bucke township. Two years later at Wabis River's muddy, Dymond Township mouth, bachelor William Murray built a log home. With Farr's post office at Haileybury, Crown Lands Agent John Armstrong arrived to found Liskeard townsite at Murray's Wabis River farm. And between these two earliest settlements, rivalry to rule New Ontario began. While C.C. Farr coaxed settlers from his native England, John Armstrong petitioned his Ontario government employer for special help.

In the meantime, losing business to the thriving stores of Ville Marie and reduced to outpost rank by Mattawa headquarters, the old fur trading Fort at the Narrows faded away. And as Lake Temiskaming's big pine timber also disappeared, saw log merchants came to scavenge leftovers. So the two towns slowly grew-competing with sawmills, with hotels but together clamouring for railway connection south, until the Grand Survey of Northern Ontario prompted the government to start laying the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway from North Bay. Then at Mileage 103 its workmen stumbled on to silver.

While farms and minerals replaced furs and pine timber during these brief Temiskaming years, a sense of New Ontario community emerged. Born out of isolation, its social character knew self reliance. And rival personalities could find private rooms in their common house. A Temiskaming house worth building.

Go Here for List of Illustrations ||| Go Here for preview of the extensive Index.

ISBN: 0-088954-366-6 | WMPub# 1182 | 8½" x 11" | 240 pages, Hardcover with Dust Cover | $24.95

0
0
0

ILLUSTRATIONS

01. Timetable-Chemin de Fer de Colonisation du Lac Temiscamingue 6

02. Lake Temiskaming map - 1887 8

03. Montreal River mouth 10

04. C.C. Farr's Humphrey's depot house 12

05. Humphrey's depot original barn 12

06. Baie des Pres' dock 15

07. Lake Temiskaming steamboats 16

08. Gillies' Depot, Quinze Lake 17

09. Gillies' Depot, Quinze Lake 17

10. Montreal River bridge, Lower Notch 20

11. Meteor under steam 21v

12. Bucke township map - 1887 23v

13. Land holdings, Haileybury P.O., 1891 30

14. C.C. Farr's Haileybury store 31

15. Dymond township - 1891 32

16. Baie des Pres' hotel 34

17. Sketch of New Ontario townships 37

18. Seasonal levels, Lake Temiskaming 39

19. John Armstrong 40

20. C.C. Farr's Haileybury house 42

21. Liskeard subdivision - 1894 43

22. John Armstrong's Liskeard house - 1894 46

23. Haileybury subdivision - 1895 48

24. C.P.R. train, Mattawa to Gordon's Landing 49

25. Gordon's Landing 50

26. Atkinson's Feltham garden 56

27. John and Christina Oslund 59

28. Haileybury - 1896 60

29. Meteor unloading at Haileybury 61

30. James Atkinson 62

31. Frank Atkinson 62

32. Stephen Atkinson 62

33. Siegfried Atkinson 63

34. Liskeard subdivision - 1897 67

35. Oslund's West Road, Bucke township house 68

36. Haileybury Anglican church parsonage - 1897 72

37. Phoebe Atkinson in Farr's house, Haileybury 77

38. Emily Farr, Phoebe Atkinson, Captain Percy on the Meteor 77

39. Sharp Lake portage, August 1898 79

40. High Rock Island, Lake Temagami, August 1898 80

41. Lake Temagami region map 81

42. View from Farr's front porch, Haileybury, 1898 86

43. Mill Creek bridge, Bucke township 88

44. Grand Survey map - 1900 90

45. Haileybury - 1900 91

46. Dr. Codd and wife Nellie in Haileybury parsonage - 1901 93v

47. Woods-Maguire wedding, June 27, 1900 94

48. The Dredge Queen 95

49. Canada House hotel, Thornloe 97

50. Temagami Ojibway display, Pan American Exposition, Buffalo,N.Y.1901 101

51. Temagami Ojibway display, Pan American Exposition, Buffalo, N.Y. 1901 102

52. Southwood excursionists, land at New Liskeard, May, 1901 103

53. Thornloe advertisement 105

54. Logging on upper Montreal River 105

55. Thornloe subdivision, Paget Syndicate, 1901 107

56. Haileybury Anglican Church 108

57. Gordon's Landing, Lake Temiskaming 109

58. Atkinson-Elston wedding 1-10

59. Thornloe subdivision - 1901 III

60. New Liskeard subdivision - 1902 116

61. Lawlortown subdivision - 1902 118

62. T.& N.O. railway route map - 1902 119

63. Armstrong and Sharpe streets, New Liskeard - 1902 120

64. New Liskeard town councillors - 1903 122

65. Temiskaming and Hudson Bay Mining Company executive 123

66. Booth timber slide on Mill Creek 123

67. New Liskeard subdivision - 1903 125

68. New Liskeard subdivision - 1903 126

69. William Murray, Catherine Ann Beavis, Tom McCamus at New Liskeard 130

70. Willet Miller's Long Lake map - 1903 136