Temiskaming Treasure Trails 1904-1906

Temiskaming Treasure Trails
1904-1906 Volume 3
by Peter Fancy

In 1904, the spring-summer days of Haileybury and New Liskeard scarcely missed their slow settlement beat. Surveyors, though, were mapping the township of Coleman as lonely mineral prospectors picked its conglomerate-diabase rocks round about the T.& N.O. railway tracks a few miles south at Long Lake. Were the prospectors finding anything of value? Probably not, local residents scoffed, if the rocks were as stingy as those of Haycock's Matawapika Mine or Wright's silvered lead workings across Lake Temiskaming.

Peter Fancy

Yet people who should know better, Colonel Leonard, Charles Denison of Buffalo, the Drummond brothers of Montreal, Quebec's Provincial Assayer Milton Hersey, William Trethewey, the Timmins brothers of Mattawa were risking hundreds even thousands of dollars. And Ontario's Provincial Geologist Willet G. Miller was so certain of another Klondike mining camp here, he insisted the T& N.O. Commissioners name its unique station-stop Cobalt.

More money and miners began drifting north. From distant New York, Ellis Earle quietly bought several hundred acres of land around Long Lake. And the T & N.O. started freighting one, then two, three and more carloads of silver highgrade south to smelters in the United States. Would the bonanza deposits, however, continue underground? Yes, Professor Miller said and wrote a Bureau of Mines Report to prove it.

By 1906, deeper mine shafts kept finding silver not only in the veins but also in the host rock around them.

Make your fortune in Canada, promoters barked. The world listened and a mining boom was on. Though some wildcat schemes roared loud the real production of honest mines soon silenced them. But with Cobalt's rich ground completely claimed, prospectors had to spread into neighbouring regions. Where they discovered more: Temagami, Montreal River, Larder and Night Hawk lakes became familiar newspaper headlines. Was Temiskaming one huge Precambrian body of minerals?

The pioneers of New Liskeard and Haileybury hoped so, for local miners were spending money as fast as they made it. Store shelves emptied before new supplies arrived by rail; hotel hallways jammed with extra guests; boardwalks lengthened past building lots no longer vacant; music halls entertained; sawmills whined night and day. Even steamboats from the Head of the Lake, Pich's Point and Ville Marie barged fresh meat, poultry, vegetables and grain to the markets of Cobalt Square. Whistling boats, sawmills, mines and trains were tangling Temiskaming together.

Go Here for List of Illustrations | Go Here for preview of the extensive Index. | Links to rest of the series.

ISBN: 0-88954-370-4 | WMPub# 1183 | 8½" x 11" | 240 pages, Hardcover with Dust Cover | $24.95


0
0
0

ILLUSTRATIONS

1. Haileybury subdivision - 1904 3

2. LaRose discovery vein - 1904 4

3. Farr, Cobbold, Atkinson houses, Haileybury - 1904 7

4. Devil's Rock, Lake Temiskaming 8

5. LaRose Mine, May - 1904 9

6. Prospectors at Long Lake - 1904 11

7. Professor Miller examines LaRose vein, June - 1904 13

8. Township of Coleman - 1904 ....... 14

9. Haileybury view - 1904 16

10. Cross section of diabase sill intrusion 4 17

11. Trethewey's discovery vein - 1904 18

12. Armstrong Street, New Liskeard - 1904 ...... 22

13. Little Vein - 1904 23

14. Looking west on Main Street, Haileybury - 1904 24

15. New Liskeard view - 1904 27

16. New Liskeard view - 1904 27

17. Cobalt ore shipments - 1904 28

18. Meteor, steamship 31

19. Haileybury Baptist church 32

20. Cobalt, June - 1905 * 34

21. Matabanick Hotel bums, Haileybury, May - 1905 35

22. Cobalt, June - 1905 38

23. Haileybury, August - 1905 39

24. Haileybury view from Public School - 1905 41

25. LaRose Mine - 1905 43

26. Sketch map, silver veins in Coleman township 45

27. Cobalt townsite map - 1905 46

28. Cobalt Hotel 47

29. Haileybury subdivision - 1905 47

30. Haileybury, October - 1905 49

31. Wabi River Harbour, New Liskeard - 1905 51

32. Dredge Queen at work on Lake Temiskaming 52

33. Cobalt, December - 1905 55

34. Cobalt ore shipments - 1905 56

35. McKinley -Darragh mining camp, March - 1906 58

36. Waiting for break-up, Cobalt - 1906 60

37. Haileybury subdivision - 1906 60

38. Cobalt townsite, April - 1906 62

39. Cobalt Square - 1906 63

40. New Matabanick Hotel, Haileybury, April - 1906 63

41. Prospect Avenue, Cobalt - 1906 65

42. Prospect Hotel, Cobalt - 1906 66

43. Canadian Bank of Commerce, Cobalt - 1906 66

44. Buffalo Mine, Cobalt - 1906 67

45. Start of Haileybury road from Cobalt Square - 1906 68

46. Grand Opera House, New Liskeard 69

47. Building Reading Camp Association building, Cobalt Square - 1906 70

48. New Liskeard view from Grand Union Hotel - 1906 71

49. Looking east on Main Street, Haileybury, May - 1906 76

50. Looking north on Ferguson Avenue, Haileybury, May - 1906 76

51. Provincial Constable George Caldbick 77

52. Grimason's & Coombe's Whitewood Ave. stores, New Liskeard - 1906 79

53. Murray Street, New Liskeard - 1906 80

54. Cobalt Square, summer - 1906 81

55. Foster Mine, Cobalt - 1906 83

56. Business in tents after August 21 fire, Haileybury - 1906 89

57. Bob Shillington views Haileybury's August 21 fire damage - 1906 91

58. Ferguson Avenue sidewalk, Haileybury - 1906 94

59. Pense township mining area map 96

60. A Sunday stroll in Haileybury, foot of Amwell Street, October - 1906 98

61. Cobalt Hospital - 1906 99

62. Whitney Avenue, Cobalt - 1906 101

63. Whitney Avenue, Cobalt, - 1906 103

64. Cobalt fire station - 1906 107

65. Prospectors on Montreal River 110

66. Cobalt ore shipments-1906 113


Temiskaming Treasure Trails Series

Volume 1- The Earliest Years

Volume 2- 1886-1903

Volume 3- 1904-1906

Volume 4- 1907-1909

Volume 5- 1910-1915

Volume 6- 1916-1922

Volume 7- 1923-1933

Volume 8- 1934-1945


© 1997-2017 White Mountain Publications   ISSN: 1703-079
Follow Us on FaceBook
Conditions of Use   Site Search   Privacy Policy   Contact Us